Wednesday, May 31, 2017

A testimony from one of "our girls on the inside": Alli



My name is Alli and I am a grateful believer in Jesus Christ. I am recovering from drug addiction and struggle with resentment, the need for revenge and the fear of rejection.

Growing up I felt rejected by my family so I chose to isolate myself from people. I was quiet, scared and had low self-esteem.  I felt ugly.  My parents were not around much so my grandmother ended up raising me.  At 15 I met the man who I married and we had 2 children together.

Although we didn’t have God in our lives, our marriage was good.  Good, until one  day my husband started using drugs and ended up cheating on me.  When I found out I didn’t know how to respond; so I chose to follow his lead into the drug world hoping that this would make him leave the other woman and stay with me. I thought I could help him but the drugs ended up destroying my life.   All I wanted was to get high and I didn’t care how I achieved it. I began stealing, prostituting myself and selling drugs. I got involved with people I never imagined I would be around.  I saw and did horrible things and I didn’t care.  The lowest point in my life was when I had my kids involved in selling drugs.

I was charged with homicide and was sent to prison.  When I arrived here I thought my life was over but little did I know it was just beginning.  I was invited to join a group called Celebrate Recovery. God is restoring my life through this program.  I have discovered God’s love for me. I am behind bars but I am free because of God and His love for me.  Through Celebrate Recovery I have learned to give God my hate, resentment and pain.  I am no longer a slave to sin and in my heart there is peace and joy. 

God bless you and thank you for letting me share.
Alli

No comments:

Post a Comment