Thursday, September 29, 2016

A Testimony from one of "Our Girls" on the inside: Connie

My name is Connie. I grew up in a Jehovah Witness home with my parents and my younger sister.  We were happy and I served God the way I was taught. I was married by the time I was 18 years old and started working in a liquor store.  My marriage didn’t last long and I started drinking at night while going through a divorce.  I remarried and suffered from domestic violence. This marriage ended in divorce also.


I depended on alcohol, drugs and spiritualism. I tried to get close to God the only way I knew but I had been shunned from the Jehovah Witness church - I was told I had not conformed to their rules.  I was no longer worthy of associating with other believers in the church. I was also told that if I tried to attend another church it was a sin, and this was a sin for which there was no forgiveness.



I got involved with the wrong group of people and my addiction progressed to the point that I was no longer able to work.  I started to go through dumps and graveyards and realized that I had reached my lowest point.



While driving, I hit a man and went to prison to serve a six month sentence. When I was released, I took my two children to an evangelical Christian church; they still continue to attend the same church.  Within a year I had relapsed.  My addiction was so sever I began living on the streets, drinking medicinal alcohol and stealing to survive. After trying to take my life I cried out to God with all my heart, I remember saying: "... I do not want to offend you again, today I want to do your will ... “ I felt led to give myself to the authorities for the crime I had committed.


I’m thankful that I am in prison as this is where I heard about Celebrate Recovery. This program has helped me to heal from the pain of my past and point me in the direction of a loving, forgiving God.  I am a new woman with a purpose and a strong desire to use my experience and my testimony to help others. Thanks to all who support the Celebrate Recovery program in any way; it really changed my life. 


God bless you and thank you for letting me share.

*Names have been changed to protect their identity.

No comments:

Post a Comment