Wednesday, April 20, 2016

A testimony from one of "Our Girls" on the inside: Yesenia


My name is Yesenia, and I am a believer working on my recovery.  My life before Christ and recovery was sad, full of confusion and I felt disoriented.  There were times when I felt resentment towards society and I tried to fill the void with alcohol or other kinds of drugs. I knew that God existed but I didn’t have a relationship with Him.  I never looked for Him and I didn’t trust others who did know Him.  I was insecure and very unhappy. 
Losing both of my parents while being incarcerated has been the lowest point in my life; my heart hurts.  I was invited to attend the YUGO Bible Study called “Celebrate Recovery”.  It was there that I met with Christ and asked Him to be my Savior. My confidence started to grow. The CR program has given me tools to deal with traumas in my life. I’m learning to give everything over to God.  Through the program I was able to discover that while I am an adult I was still suffering and holding on to past hurts deep within my heart.  The divorce of my parents was still causing me pain but I was never able to talk about it but I was given the opportunity while going through the CR program. This was something that marked my life and I had been unable to overcome it, until now.  I also can share with you that now that I know God, my insecure and distrustful life is gone and I can admit that I need help. I have the courage to recognize my faults; I accept the consequences of my actions and recognize that they are because of making wrong choices.
I am learning to walk by faith, believing that God loves me enough to send His Son to die for my sins. With the Holy Spirit as my Helper I am being guided in truth.  One of the benefits of working through the CR program is that I feel set free from the guilt and condemnation that I had before. I depend on the wisdom of God to guide my steps and He has given me the opportunity to share this with others just beginning their recovery process. I have also been able to share the good news about the hope that is found only through Jesus Christ to my family.

Thank you for letting me share.

*names have been changed to protect identity*

No comments:

Post a Comment