Tuesday, February 2, 2016

A testimony from one of "Our Girls" on the inside: Sarah


My name is Sarah and I am a believer in recovery. My struggle is mostly with myself, my character, and my decisions. I want to do what is right but usually end up doing what is wrong. My life before recovery was "happy" according to the standards of the world.  I found myself always looking for something new to do because routine was boring.  Like any other girl I loved dancing, having different boyfriends, and always enjoyed new clothes.
I knew God existed but didn’t have anything to do with him until I needed something, then I would cry out to him.  I definitely did not have a personal relationship with him. He was my God when it was convenient.
Because I was driven by my emotions my attitude towards others was unstable.  I wanted to look good but I didn’t care about those around me.  My lowest point was when I was sent to prison.
For four years I was invited to join the CR group but I always said no because attending didn’t interest me. Finally I said yes because it was something new to try. It was through this program that I started to have a personal relationship with Jesus.  I never wanted to deal with my past but now that I have Jesus in my heart, He makes it possible to have healing and closure.  CR has helped me change my attitude towards others. I have learned to love my neighbor.  I have learned to love and appreciate myself as God’s daughter. Now that I know God I want to serve Him and seek His holiness. 
A real benefit of being a part of the CR program is that now I have a spiritual family that supports me. I feel that I can love without limits because God loves me.
May God bless you.

*names have been changed to protect identities*

No comments:

Post a Comment