Thursday, July 14, 2016

A testimony from one of "Our Girls" on the Inside: Rosalynn


My name is Rosalynn and I am a believer in Jesus Christ struggling with co-dependency issues and low self-esteem. Before starting Celebrate Recovery I had very little knowledge of God. I easily exploded in anger when something bothered me. The only time I spoke to God was when I was in trouble. I had a good attitude towards others unless they tried to tell me what to do. Now I recognize that my rebellious attitude and my problems with addictions brought me to prison.
The lowest point of my life came when I entered the dark world of drugs. I remember spending entire nights wandering from place to place with my friends waiting for our next fix. I knew that sooner or later I would have to pay for my mistakes and face the consequences of my actions. Now I understand that it is by the grace of God that I am here in prison. I am thankful that He allowed me to come to this place so that I could begin my recovery.
Someone invited me to the YUGO-Celebrate Recovery program.  I admit, at first I didn’t appreciate having to sit still for two hours, but then, something magical began to happen; I started to pay attention to the CR lessons and it was as if every one of the lessons were written just for me. I became interested in learning more about God and started talking to Him. I learned how to pray and I learned that God loves me and is interested in me. I gave my heart to Jesus and began my personal relationship with Him. I get excited and can hardly wait for Mondays when the YUGO team hosts the CR program. I know God will speak to my life through the lesson of that day. I have learned through the program that God cares for me and His love is never ending.  This so beautiful to me.
Lesson 6 ACTION is the lesson that touched my life the most. It is in this lesson that I learned to surrender my will to Jesus Christ and allow Him to have control of my life. I feel God has helped me to have sanity in my thoughts and my life. I have learned to be more sociable and to relate differently with others. I've exchanged the feelings of hate, anger and resentment with  feelings of peace as I stay in communion with God and continue to read His Word. I am able to go to church every Sunday and get to share this very beautiful journey of recovery with many other women here in prison.
I am a different person today as I walk with confidence and am learning to have self- control with my reactions. My goal is to continue walking with God and allow Him to be the power that guides my life. One of the greatest benefits I have gained through the CR program is that I now have a personal relationship with Jesus and that I can trust my life in His care.  I believe with all my heart that God has a purpose for my life. My part is allowing myself to be led by His Spirit and obey Him. I bravely share this message with other inmates who are dealing with the same issues I had in the past. Thank you for allowing me to share. God Bless you all.

*names have been changed to protect identity*

No comments:

Post a Comment